Blog

SEP 07 2017
ALL ARTICLES

Spray - And Put Your Cat Away!

Posted in: Cat, Kitten

Before you start to prepare your outdoor areas for spring and summer barbeques, just a word of warning.  Many outdoor moss and mold cleaning products can cause serious harm to cats, and could even prove fatal. This is despite many stating their products are safe for pets.

The problem arises because these products are designed to be sprayed and then left on to dry.  

However, when these products are still wet they are very toxic to pets. Most at risk are cats – when they walk across the wet product cats will immediately lick it off their paws and ingest the toxin.

The active ingredients in these products are often quaternary ammonium compounds and can go by several different and lengthy names such as Alkyl dimethyl benzyl or benzalkonium chloride (and others). They are highly irritant to skin and mucous membranes.

Symptoms include ulceration of the pads, vomiting, lack of appetite and drooling, due to severe ulcers of the tongue and mouth. The toxin can also damage and ulcerate the oesophagus, stomach and intestines and may, in severe cases, lead to death.

If you plan on spraying your outdoor areas with a moss and mold leave-to-dry product, please put your cat away until it is dry. It is also really important to let your neighbors know so they can also keep their cats inside for the afternoon. Keep dogs off the area, as although they don’t have the same grooming behaviour, they can also suffer from painful inflammation of their pads and feet if they walk across the wet sprayed area.   

Be careful to dilute your product according to instructions and do not allow pets access to undiluted product. 

If you're concerned your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance- Contact Us or your veterinarian immediately.

Tags: Pet, Cat, Vet, Pet care, Veterinary Medicine, Pet and Vet

Before you start to prepare your outdoor areas for spring and summer barbeques, just a word of warning.  Many outdoor moss and mold cleaning products can cause serious harm to cats, and could even prove fatal. This is despite many stating their products are safe for pets.

The problem arises because these products are designed to be sprayed and then left on to dry.  

However, when these products are still wet they are very toxic to pets. Most at risk are cats – when they walk across the wet product cats will immediately lick it off their paws and ingest the toxin.

The active ingredients in these products are often quaternary ammonium compounds and can go by several different and lengthy names such as Alkyl dimethyl benzyl or benzalkonium chloride (and others). They are highly irritant to skin and mucous membranes.

Symptoms include ulceration of the pads, vomiting, lack of appetite and drooling, due to severe ulcers of the tongue and mouth. The toxin can also damage and ulcerate the oesophagus, stomach and intestines and may, in severe cases, lead to death.

If you plan on spraying your outdoor areas with a moss and mold leave-to-dry product, please put your cat away until it is dry. It is also really important to let your neighbors know so they can also keep their cats inside for the afternoon. Keep dogs off the area, as although they don’t have the same grooming behaviour, they can also suffer from painful inflammation of their pads and feet if they walk across the wet sprayed area.   

Be careful to dilute your product according to instructions and do not allow pets access to undiluted product. 

If you're concerned your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance- Contact Us or your veterinarian immediately.

Tags: Pet, Cat, Vet, Pet care, Veterinary Medicine, Pet and Vet